Daisy the Chihuahua's love of fishing with her dad almost cost her her life. She was rushed to the Animal Referral Hospital after swallowing a pre-baited fishing hook...
Dr John Angles, head of the Internal Medicine team attempted to remove the hook with an endoscope but soon realised the sharp barb made it impossible without major damage to the dog's esophagus.
So surgical specialist Dr Sarah Goldsmid was called in on her day off to perform surgery.
SCROLL DOWN To Watch The Entire Story:
This is the actual operation in full however some repetitive sequences have been edited to reduce the total duration.
SHORT ON TIME?
Click any link below to go straight to a relevant section of this video on our YouTube site!!
Use your browser's BACK button to return to this page.
iPAD/iPhone Users Please Note!
Normally the links below take you to the selected story however if you are using an iPad, iPhone or Mac this does not work.
This is a YouTube issue on iPADs or Phones.
As an alternative - just navigate to the time listed on your YouTube player
TIME - STORY LINK
* 00:00 - Dr Sarah describes Daisy's case (Click the middle of the player below to watch from the start!)
* 01:29 - Explanation of 'midline' incision and reason for this
* 02:03 - Trachea & foreign body revealed with notes on nerve structure etc
* 03:27 - Foreign body revealed and fish hook extracted
* 05:14 - Dr Sarah discovers a tear inside Daisy's esophagus & explains what would happen if not fixed
* 06:44 - A great explanation of Dr Sarah's suturing technique
* 08:03 - Additional explanation of suturing techniques
* 08:46 - Q: "What happens when it drinks water in next 24-48 hours?
* 11:04 - One Week Later! - Dr's Sarah & John discuss Daisy's case + discharge consult with owner
VETERINARY PRO VERSION